UNITED COMMUNITY BANK was originally chartered in 1911 and has been in continuous operation since that time. It first operated in Bertha, Minnesota. When Perham's two Banks failed in the 1930's, Perham was without a banking facility for approximately two years. In 1934 UNITED COMMUNITY BANK was authorized to move its charter to Perham as PERHAM STATE BANK.
The bank's name was changed to UNITED COMMUNITY BANK in 1995 to more accurately reflect our mission to serve the financial needs of an expanding area. We have grown steadily with the strong support of our customers and now have total assets in excess of $180 million.
- Chartered by the Lee family as Farmers State Bank of Bertha, Minnesota.
- PERHAM STATE BANK moved operations to Perham from Bertha, Minnesota.
- Bank officers are as follows:
- Harry Lee of Long Prairie, President.
- R.L. Christie of Bertha, Vice President.
- D. R. Christie of Perham, Cashier.
- John Helm of Perham, Assistant Cashier.
- Asset size of $4.3 Million.
- Current officers:
- D.R. Christie, President.
- William E. Lee, Vice President.
- News Headline: "Perham State Bank Footings Hit All Time High of $8.5 Million in 1970".
- Current Officers:
- William E. Lee, President.
- William Hemmelgarn, Vice President.
- John J. Cavanagh, Head Cashier.
- John J. Cavanagh, President of PERHAM STATE BANK.
- Moved to Current location in Perham on 2nd Avenue.
- Asset size of $41 Million.
- Name change PERHAM STATE BANK to UNITED COMMUNITY BANK.
- Acquired Frazee Branch of UNITED COMMUNITY BANK, formally known as First Integrity Bank
- Charles L. Cavanagh, President of PERHAM STATE BANK.
- William J. Cavanagh and Robert J. Cavanagh, Vice President.
- UNITED COMMUNITY BANK's Frazee location moves into new building.
- Assets top $100 Million.
- Remodeling Complete of Perham's UNITED COMMUNITY BANK.
- United Community Bank launches the www.ucbankmn.com website.
- United Community Bank launches Internet Banking on the www.ucbankmn.com website.
- Dean's Country Market Branch Opens
- In the summer of 2007, United Community Bank was proud to be a part of the WDAY Honor Flight. The Honor Flight was organized to send as many World War II Veterans to Washington DC to see the memorial that was made in their honor. We at United Community Bank felt very strongly about this cause as we had many relatives who made sacrifices in this war and we felt it was our way to give back. With the help of the community we spearheaded a campaign that rose over $15,000.00 sending 20 veterans on the Honor Flight.
- Round up of Education
- 2008 was the year of the UCB Round-up. Money was raised by rounding up deposits, Jail & Bail, Root Beer floats at Turtle Days, Picnic lunches and a final celebration of a Hoe-Down dance and supper. Every employee volunteered for the effort, with several students encouraging their friends to help also. $10,000 was donated to the 549 Foundation for the benefit of Perham Schools and $5,000 to the Frazee Schools.
- Assets top $200 Million.
- Launched UCBe Green including mobile banking capabilities.
- Celebration of Community Banking Month and Arbor Day! United Community Bank gave away over 800 trees for planting.
- United Community Bank has partnered with Lakes Radio to establish a fund to Benefit the Otter Tail Wadena Tornado Victims. Lakes Radio will match $5000 and United Community Bank will match $5000 (That's a $10,000.00 match!) The funds were used to directly assist with housing, food, and other immediate needs.
- Launched our "NEW" Online Bill Pay service
- UCB participated in Beautification of Perham! New Banners and Planters line the main streets.
- Summer 2010: Frazee Branch's Wednesday Summer BBQs cooperatively held at UCB - Frazee and served by the school's activity group students, raised $2,500.00 and was matched by the bank for a grand total of $5,000.00 donated to Frazee Fine Arts & Athletics.
- We've Stood the TEST of TIME!" Celebrating 100 years of Community Banking!
- A comprehensive remodel of the Frazee Branch began on Jan. 14th, 2011 and reached completion of the most invasive work on March 31st. A celebration of the remodel completion will be held on May 5, 2011 in Frazee.
- It is UCB’s 100 year anniversary. On June 15, 2011 we will celebrate 100 years of Community Banking.
- Teach Children to Save Minnesota Banks of Honor. UCB is one of two Minnesota banks that have been participating in Teach Children to Save every year since April 17, 1997.
- UCB has been a volunteer for the Perham area’s Meals by Wheels program delivering meals every Thursday since 2005.
- UCB has provided volunteers and a team of 10 to pack meals for Feed My Starving Children every year the program has been in area.
- During Community Banking Month in April UCB gives away over 800 trees during our Customer Appreciation Day on Arbor Day.
- United Community Bank formed a team of Community Minded individuals to jump in the lake in February supporting Kinship of the Perham Area. Over $30,000 was raised at the event.
- April 23, 2012 United Community Bank acquired Farmers State Bank of Dent.
- Assets top $233 Million
- UCB supports our local activities in Perham and Frazee by sponsoring a “Wednesday BBQ”. A different team from the school volunteers each week.
- United Community Bank held a party on June 15, 2012 in Dent, MN to celebrate the merger with Farmers State Bank.
- Launched Everfi's Financial Sense to local high schools.
- Moved to main location at 301 West Main St. in Perham June 24, 2013
- United Community Bank held a celebration at the new location of 301 West Main St.
- November 12, 2013 launched new website.