Scam and Fraud
There has been one group that has doubled their efforts in an attempt to take advantage of Americans, scammers. Scammers have no off season and lately there has been an increase in fraud reports across the United States. These efforts will only increase over the next few weeks as people begin receiving checks from the Federal Government. At United Community Bank we prefer keeping your money away from scammers and illegitimate businesses. Here are a few never ever’s to help keep your money in your pocket:
- Never ever share personal information.
- Seems easy right? Wrong. People running scams have playbooks dedicated to prying bank account information, social security numbers, and other personal information like birth dates, phone numbers, or insurance numbers away from innocent parties.
- Never ever send money to someone you’ve never met.
- Did they ask for a prepaid debit card or gift card? Maybe they asked you to wire them money for you to receive your prize? Never pay for a promise. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
- Never ever believe caller ID
- With the country about to receive receiving stimulus checks, scammers have another route to try and pry your money away from you. They may impersonate the IRS and text or call you asking to verify your preferred payment methods. If you receive a phony phone call, just hang up. The IRS will not call or text seeking information on how you prefer to get paid.
- Please work with local businesses.
- During these times our local businesses may be seeing a dramatic downturn. Instead of using a website that might not have good intentions, use a business in your neighborhood that has the proper identification, licensing, and insurance. Small businesses are the backbone of our country and today they need our help more than ever.
A reminder, UCB will never call asking for your personal information. At United Community Bank, we take your safety and financial security very serious. We have safe guards in place to prevent fraud and we are a Member FDIC bank. Your money is safe and secure, and is backed by the US Federal Government. If you ever have questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 218-346-5700 or visit ucbankmn.com.