Mobile Deposit allows customers to deposit checks to their United Community Bank checking or savings accounts using the camera on their smartphone or tablet! Simply log into digital banking via our mobile app, and select Deposit Checks on the menu.
Download the App
- Your check must be endorsed with “For mobile deposit only” below your signature.
- Carefully enter the amount to ensure it matches the check
- Deposit check before 6:00pm CT for same-day credit
- Notify us the next business day if deposit does not show
- Keep check for 60 days, then shred
- View your deposit history under the History heading in your app
- Make sure your app is up to date (open app store to review installed apps and ones pending approval for updates)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make a mobile deposit?
- Endorse check and write “For mobile deposit only, Account # _______” below signature
- Log in to your UCB app
- Head to the Deposit Checks tab on the menu
- Take a photo of the front and back of the check
- Type in dollar amount
- Choose the account to deposit into
- Tap Review > Submit or Repair
Your check will be returned if not properly endorsed with “For mobile deposit only.” Please make sure to include that below your signature.
Who is eligible to use mobile deposit?
To be eligible you must …
- be a current UCB customer with an active checking or savings account,
- be enrolled in digital banking,
- and have UCB’s mobile app downloaded on your smartphone or tablet
Why isn’t my deposit showing?
If your deposit is made before 6:00pm CT M-F, your deposit will post to your account by 6:00pm CT the same day. Exceptions may occur.
If I am a business, can I use mobile deposit?
Are there limits for deposits made through mobile deposit?
Yes, individual check and daily limits exist. If you need the limit raised, please contact a personal banker for assistance at 218-346-5700.
Do I need a deposit slip to make a deposit?
No. By taking the picture of the front and back of your check, we will create an electronic deposit slip.
I selected the wrong account for deposit. What should I do?
Once the check is credited to your account, you can perform a funds transfer between your accounts and the funds will be available immediately.
What type of checks can I deposit?
Checks made payable to you and drawn on a bank within the United States can be deposited through UCB’s mobile deposit.
How do I endorse the back of my check?
Regardless of how the check is made payable, every check should include “for mobile deposit only, account # _______” below your signature.
If the check is made out to just you, sign your name on the back. If the check is made out to two people, properly signing it can be tricky. Recently married couples may run into issues here. When in doubt, have both people sign the check. Here are some guidelines:
When the word “AND” is used
Example: John Smith AND Susan Smith
The check can be accepted if:
- Both people are on the account and only one customer endorses the check
- Both people are on the account and both endorse the check
- Only one person is on the account and both people endorse the check
- Only one person is on the account and the non-customer endorses the check
The check may be rejected if:
- Only one person is on the account and no one endorses the check
- Only one person is on the account and the only endorsement is by the customer
When the word “OR” is used
Example: John Smith OR Susan Smith
The check will be accepted as long as the check has been endorsed by one of the people.
Keep in mind, checks made out to minors are a little different. To make sure these checks are accepted, parents or guardians should write “Parent/Guardian” below their signature on the back of the check.
Why is my deposit declining?
There may be a few different reasons to have your check declined for deposit:
- If the check amount is over your daily or per check limit, it will decline. If so, please call us to raise your limit.
- It’s possible that you may have an outdated version of the app. Update it by going into your app store and manually select update.
Why was my deposit returned?
There may be a few different reasons your deposit was returned:
- MOST COMMON: If the endorsement lacks “for mobile deposit only”
- If the endorsement is otherwise insufficient, incorrect, or does not match our bank records
Why do I have deposit limits?
We set limits as a safeguard against check fraud. This is a regulation from the federal government. Limits can be raised (within reason) for customers as needed by contacting one of our personal bankers.
Why are there special endorsement requirements?
There are three main reasons:
- By noting the account number, we can double check that the funds go into the correct account (sometimes people accidentally select a different account in the drop-down).
- By noting “for mobile deposit only,” you have just safeguarded that check in the chance it were to drift into the wrong hands and someone were to try to cash it again (since you’ve already endorsed it).
- Also, the special endorsement helps you remember that it was, in fact, processed since it stays in your possession!
The check I deposited was returned for insufficient funds. Can I re-scan it?
No, you cannot re-scan the returned check. Your account will be assessed a returned item fee and you will receive a copy of the deposited item. It is best you get a new check from the issuer to avoid any further delays.
What are some tips to get a good check photo?
- Flatten folded or crumpled checks before taking your photo
- Place check on a solid dark background that won’t reflect your camera flash
- Make sure there is plenty of light on the check
- Capture all four corners of the check by holding phone/tablet directly overhead (avoid skew)
- Check to make sure that no other objects are included in the photo frame
- If your image is blurry, move the camera a few inches higher (away from check)
- Try turning off the flash if you’re having problems with quality or lighting
- The app reads the MICR line (numbers on the bottom of your check) and the amount box; make sure both are readable